Looked after by....

Looked after by....

Tuesday 4 September 2012

Sunday 19th August, another of those days where I think "let's do a marathon today as I haven't done one for a while!". So I booked in with Malcom Collins at the Gin Pit Trail Marathon. As this was in Tyldsley it was only a short drive for me. Team 9 bar members Denzil Martin and Charlie Sharp were there also and Meg the superdog was also going to put in an appearance.

A 6 lap course was probably ideal for me as I feel like my running has been going rubbish lately and at least this way if it all went wrong it was easy to pull out! Not that this was the plan!

I started fast as I always do, I have tried pacing myself more but all that happens is I end up slower overall as I do not have the first faster lap time to bring my time down. One lap in and I was feeling good, the course was nice, varied terrain, and well set out. It was a very warm day and on the second lap I picked up my drink to carry it with me. I find waist belts give me terribly stomach ache and it was too warm for a back pack,  I am tempted to try the salomon hydration vests but as always there is the expense of these things.......I left my bottle part way round the course so that I could retreive it again on the next couple of laps. Laps two and three again were no real problem. Four and five felt harder but I actually never felt like stopping, this is somewhat of a rareity for me as usually in any race there comes a point where I feel like throwing my Toys out of my pram. I did have bad stomach as usual amd am still trying to figure how to solve this, if I solve it my times will drop -answers on a postcard please!

Lap Six and the heavens opened which was very pleasant! I finished in 3.50 and had a great day out. Refuelling after the run with Charlie and "slush puppies" followed by Denzil, Clare and the most amazing cakes ever! Thank you Clare, I can't wait to do another race with you!