Looked after by....

Looked after by....

Monday 5 August 2013

Riding with Ed Clancy.

As a very lucky member of team 9bar - I am always delighted when I open an e-mail from them asking if I want to get involved in something, the answer is usually yes as I am very easily persuaded into doing just about anything. This time it was a ride out in the Peak District with Champion cyclist Ed Clancy - two-time Olympic Gold medalist, an Olympic Bronze medalist and five-time world champion - http://www.edclancy.com/about/about-ed#sthash.6vlCc7qM.dpuf I do a bit of road biking (although I do not really like it!) so I couldn't say no to this brilliant opportunity. There were competition winners who had won the chance to cycle with Ed and of course a range of members of the team. My "Twin" Kim Bent - BMX Champion also known as "Miss July" and Nikki Bartlet - Triathlete, currently in possession of the "Miss August" Title were present as were the Lovely Shaun O Keefe, Peter Brook and friends of the 9bars guys too. I even got to meet Mysterious Gilbert - who I wasn't convinced actually existed prior to this weekend. It was a beautiful day with glorious sunshine - the star of the show arrived with his lovely girlfriend Natalie and off we went. The first few miles were good and then we started some of the hills - ouch! The heavens opened at one point and we were soaked in seconds - Nikki was freezing and cycling down some of the steep descents in the bucketing rain was quite scary. (Road bike brakes are RUBBISH!- give me a set of Hope Discs any day!) I managed to hang on to the back of the group (just!) for most of the ride but did lose them in the last couple of miles as I took the "wrong" turn at a T-Junction - (hmmm suspicious some would say.) We all finished the ride and then went for some lovely food at a great pub. Ed was fantastic chatting to people and answering lots of questions. He was a real inspiration to some of the younger children who had come on the ride or come along with their parents and I think that day will remain in their memories for a long time. A top day, A top bloke and another reminder of how amazing my 9Bar family are.