Looked after by....

Looked after by....

Friday 20 December 2013

Still working on the progress, so for those of you interested here is the update....

I started seeing the wonderful Physios Andy Walling and Duncan Mason at www.athletematters.co.uk for a bit more intensive treatment in November. I was making progress but decided that a bit more help was required.

I was introduced to THE TOOL! - Pain yes! But results also!

Being "tooled" is not a pleasant experience especially at 7am on a Monday morning by a grinning Duncan, (Sorry!)but the bruises and pain are worth it and it seems to be the one thing that has rapidly helped my rehab.

Basically I have really tight fascia on my hip and back which causes restriction and pain. At times this is incredibly painful and needs releasing to allow normal movement again. It does tighten back up but seems to be tightening up less

after each treatment. I am also being liberally taped up with Rock tape which is really helping and I notice the difference immediately without the tape as the pain comes back.


At the start of October I was really struggling with constant hip pain, back pain even just walking. Taking the dog for a walk was really painful and it was getting to the point when I really hated taking her out because I was struggling so much. Not good when you have a "Bouncy Blizzard" who would happily run or walk ten miles a day.

19th October - I finally ran 5 mins without pain.
17th November - up to about 30 mins pain free.
23rd November - about 55 mins without too much pain but still having sore back and hip pain.
1st December - getting to about 75 mins - some pain.
7th December - about 80 mins - some discomfort.
14th December - first RACE in months! Did Mid lancs XC - only 3 miles. But NO HIP PAIN!


 I felt so sick on Saturday at the thought of running the XC, I haven't taken part in a XC event for three years as I have been doing the long races. I also haven't worn an Accrington vest for a long time either. I busied myself with changing spikes so that I didn't have time to think about the race. I actually really enjoyed the race, the course was muddy, twisty and turning but my legs felt so heavy. This didn't bother me though, the only thing that mattered was that my hip didn't hurt! I had done ridiculous amounts of stretching the day of the race and continue to do so.

15th December - 13 miles with Hills. Some tightness. (Lovely run with people from Sale Harriers -Followed by cake! Just don't ask how bad I was on the hills - Training required)


20th December - This evening was the first fell run I have done in months! It was dark, blowing a gale and raining but it felt brilliant to be back running in the mud and in the fantastic hills once again. I have missed it so much!

On the whole things are looking good and a lot more promising than they were in October. Some days I struggle more than others and I am not sure why but getting there.

Stretching is my life!
So the stretching, core and strengthening work continues.

I get up at 5:15 am most days to do stretching and core work, then in the evening it is time for running followed by more strength work and you guessed it, more stretching. I am obsessive about it and it HAS to be done and written down along with notes about how things are going. This way I can look back and see that despite things taking a while, progress IS being made and things ARE getting better.

Duncan and Andy have been amazing at looking after me and getting me back on track with my running and making sure that I address the weak areas to try to strengthen against further problems. They have put up with my moaning, sulkiness and worked really hard with me trying to sort me out, I am incredibly grateful. Thank you Athlete Matters for your support.

I am also really thankful for the support from my lovely friends at 9bar www.9bar.com who despite me struggling with injury for quite a lot of last season have stood by me and agreed to support me once again for next year. This means so much to me and I look forward to representing you again.

So Team 9bar again for 2014!

Now I just need to decide what events are on the list for next year......any suggestions?