Looked after by....

Looked after by....

Saturday 31 May 2014

High Terrain Events Ultra Trail Running Weekend






After the success of the High Terrain events inaugural Trail running weekend in April I was looking forward very much to their "Ultra" version on the same theme. Two days of running in the beautiful Lake District, sharing advice and testing kit sounded right up my street.  

 

            We were fortunate enough to be staying once again at Derwentwater Independent Youth Hostel www.derwentwater.org which was fantastic when we stayed there in April and somewhere I will be sure to stay again in the future. I arrived later than I would have liked to on the Friday eve as I couldn't leave work until 4.30. Upon arrival at just after six, the runners had been kitted out in the Salomon test kit for the weekend by "Mr Salomon James" and were just heading off out for their run along the lakeshore towards Keswick. I was pleased when James asked if I fancied running out to try and catch them up so I hastily checked in, threw some shockingly uncoordinated gear on and dashed out of the door.



We had a lovely evening run and caught the group up in Keswick and enjoyed the run back with them. A nice 7k from Derwentwater Lakeshore to Friars Crag.

 

            Dinner (amazing!) then followed and then an informative talk by Sam Meadows (Ultra training and Development LTD) www.ultra-training.co.uk about planning training and training schedules.  Problems were shared and helpful suggestions given. The planning freaks of the group (ie - me!) were exposed and we discussed different strategies to incorporate training plans that worked for different people. There isn't one approach that works for everyone and in my opinion you don't find training plans in magazines that suit the sort of running I do. I think much of it comes with experience and with messing things up occasionally!  My "training" at the moment - I don't class as training at all, for me it is just a case of trying to keep up base miles of about 35-40 miles a week and trying to keep my body injury free.

 

            Morning dawned far brighter than the weather forecast had predicted so a good few hours on the fells for all the group was the plan. We headed out following the Lakeshore to Lodore Woods and a beautiful Waterfall. Then on towards Manesty then a climb to Hause Gate, I really struggled with the climb up and felt really out of breath so just eased off and walked steadily up the climbs.  As we reached the summit of Maiden Moor I came to a bit more and felt more normal, running felt fine again. We continued on towards High Spy and Dalehead Tarn. Of course, as always I enjoyed my downhill descents and the descent down Rigghead Quarries put a smile on my face. For the first time in weeks my "baby bladder" seemed to be behaving and I didn't feel that I had to stop every 0.5 miles for a comfort stop! Progress! All the runners were fuelled by wonderful 9bars www.9bar.com for the run and the feedback on those was great. Especially the fruity ones! I ate half a 9bar breakfast bar yummy and some Starburst red chews on the run, I seem to be struggling with food when I am running more than normal at the minute so I didn't eat much.

 

            There were stops to cover navigation on the run and also a couple of sessions on descending and climbing techniques which people seemed to find useful. It is really easy to spot the runners who live in cities and those who live in the hills on these events - clearly descending only comes with constant training. The group were doing well and all the runners seemed to be keeping together pretty well although I was really struggling with discomfort in my stomach, so eased off and dropped closer to the back of the group. I suppose after running for three hours I couldn't really complain. Think Baby was telling me it had had enough of being bounced about and could we go home now? So a good four hours of running in the fells and we even stayed mostly dry.

 

            A filling lunch was out for our return to the hostel and after refuelling and showering we were treated to some more knowledge on injury prevention and nutrition from Phil Smith, who is an incredibly experienced runner and triathlete, along with being a genuinely nice guy. This was a really interesting session and all sorts of discussions were had on what people do and what injuries people have had and overcome. My take on this - Core Core Core! Seems to work for me so I will stick with it! Thanks Duncan and Andy my superb physios at www.athletematters.co.uk who keep me healthy.  

           

            For the evening we had a lovely chap called John Owens from Leki www.leki.co.uk who came along to talk to us about using Trekking or Nordic style poles in Ultra races. I have never used them, probably as I don't know how to but have seen lots of people use them in the Ultra events I do. We were really well informed about the different benefits and advantages to using them in races and it seems that I haven't yet bought all the kit I need! So maybe something to look into in the future for races.

 

            The final treat of the evening was a visit by the very knowledgeable Martin Bergerud From Petzl www.petzl.com to talk us through the different Petzl head torches available that people may wish to use for night running. As a pretty experienced night fell runner and night racer I love headtorch running and know that I have the best head torch available. It isn't a Petzl one but then costs a lot more than the Petzl ones so it all depends on what you want it for, what you are prepared to spend and who you know who can get you a good discount! ;-) CC! I agree the Hope R4 is the best!





The torches were discussed and the benefits and possible disadvantages of each were discussed, one of the key selling points of the Petzl ones seems to be the Reactive lighting system which seems quite a good idea for camping or night navigation although for me I like having a really bright light and don't mind it being constant. A run up onto Walla crag for an hour and a bit in the evening testing headtorches was a great way to finish off a super day. Although I am really pleased that I only ate half my dinner that evening or I do not think I could have even contemplated a run!


            Sunday morning again the forecast was dreadful but actually the sun was out and it looked pretty promising! We began the morning session with some great work on stretching and strength bands which people found really useful.





We also gave the "Hairy Bikers" something to smile over as they watched us. Then we were joined by the lovely Ricky Lightfoot and the runners were really pleased to be able to run with him and ask questions. Ricky is a superb guy, dead down to earth and is really approachable, friendly and happy to share his wisdom on running with anyone. Although you would think he would have known that a T shirt may have been a better option than a long sleeved top on a sunny day in May! ;-)
I didn't intend on doing the full distance of 30k on the run today and had planned to get about 9 miles in as I didn't want to push it after feeling a bit rough after the run the day before. We had a great run out towards Castle Crag where I turned around and made my way back to the Hostel for an ice cream and left the group to carry on their jaunt. They continued for 31k and 1150m of ascent on a stunning route.


            The group finally returned looking bedraggled and somewhat worse for wear a couple of hours later than initially planned but smiles were on faces and everyone seemed to have had a really enjoyable weekend of the best trail running the lakes has to offer.
            A massive thank you to Ian and Emily at High Terrain Events www.highterrainevents.co.uk for another fabulous weekend. I can't wait for the next one.....I have already told Phil he is coming along as chief baby sitter whilst I have a nice weekend running again.