Looked after by....

Looked after by....

Monday 5 August 2013

A personal bit from me now and my training and goals. I am on my holidays from work now and trying to get fit and strong. I have been having some bother with my Hip/Glutes (surprisingly not my knee - but it is probably connected - it usually is!) I was intending on getting some solid training in over the hols but my hip/ butt was giving me some problems. I had seen Andy Walling in Bristol a few weeks back when I was helping out with one of the Salomon Demo days and he was AMAZING! and I had booked in to see him again in August but as my hip started playing up I asked Andy if he could put me in touch with someone who could help whilst he was away on Hols and he did. Duncan Mason is clinic Director at Athlete Matters which luckily for me is in Worsley and I arranged a session with him to see if he could work his magic. http://www.athletematters.com/ Duncan was fantastic and really helped with my problem. I have seen many physios in the past who I haven't really thought much of and who were not "hands on" enough. Maybe it is just me, but I like to feel like something has been done and to be able to feel a difference after a physio sesison. I certainly did and Duncan was brilliant - I really cannot recommend him enough. As well as treatment he offered lots of advice and I am really grateful for all the help. I felt a huge difference immediately and I managed a great week training (about 55 miles) with some tough hill climbs and two three hour fell runs then started having pain in my right hip instead of the left one. I was booked in to see Duncan again and once more he "fixed me up". The ball really is in my court now and I have to maintain the work that he has done with strengthening and stretching to make my hips stronger. I didn't do enough of this whilst I was away last week and struggled after two fab mountain runs up The Merrick (Highest Peak in Southern Scotland)last week and yesterday on my run at the Ironman. So back to the exercises and strengthening ......yawn! Last night I was in a complete sulk about my hip....So took some advice from a knowledgeable Guru (Yes I can sometimes!) and did my exercises as instructed..... the result...... well.... did a great run this morning around the Rivington Trail Half Marathon Route this morning with little bother from my butt! Apparently a Corky ball is a "Good Substitute for an elbow" in your butt, so after finishing this blog I am off to put that theory to the test........